You are not logged in.

• Index
  • » Shop
  • » The acquisition of Mike Fiers has coincided

#1 2019-01-12 05:41:00

laiyongcai92
Always Here

The acquisition of Mike Fiers has coincided

BALTIMORE (AP) — with the Oakland Athletics' surge toward the postseason.With a pitching staff decimated by injuries Austin Hedges Jersey , the Athletics will be leaning heavily on the right-hander to help anchor the rotation.Fiers remained unbeaten in an Oakland uniform, working six solid innings to lead the Athletics past the Baltimore Orioles 3-2 on a damp Tuesday night."I feel like if I do my job, I'm going to get a win," Fiers said. "Keeping a team within a couple runs with the way our team is and the way we swing the bats, I find myself in a good chance to win us the game."Oakland extended its winning streak to five games and is 33-15 since the All-Star break, the best mark in the majors during that span. The Athletics hold the second AL wild-card spot behind the Yankees.Fiers (12-6), who was acquired from the Tigers on Aug. 6, allowed one run and four hits with seven strikeouts and a walk. He is 5-0 in seven starts with the A's and has won a career-best six straight decisions overall."It seems like other than one (start), maybe, that's pretty much what he's been giving us," Oakland manager Bob Melvin said. "Six innings and a lead when he leaves. Seems to get a little stronger at times as the game goes along."Stephen Piscotty went 3 for 4, including an RBI single in a three-run third inning. He extended his hitting streak to 12 games and has driven in a run in six straight."It just seems like every time we need somebody up in a big situation http://www.padresfanproshop.com/authent … aje-jersey , (Piscotty) comes up and either hits a home run or gets a big hit to extend the lead or whatever it will be," Melvin said.Adam Jones was back in the starting lineup for the first time since last Wednesday and had a pair of hits for Baltimore, which has lost five straight and has the majors' worst record (41-103). Jonathan Villar drove in both Orioles runs with a homer off Fiers in the sixth and a single in the eighth off Lou Trivino.Jeurys Familia, acquired from the Mets on July 21, worked a perfect ninth for his 18th save overall.Orioles right-hander Alex Cobb, who was scratched from his scheduled start Sunday with a blister on his throwing hand, pitched two scoreless innings before departing with the same injury."I thought he was on his way to another good outing tonight and he was crisp, carrying a good fastball," manager Buck Showalter said. "He was really frustrated up the runway, regardless of what kind of stuff he might have been carrying and what he could have done."Mike Wright (3-2) entered in the third and was hit in the left foot by a sharp grounder from Ramon Laureano, the second batter he faced. Matt Chapman followed with an RBI double, and Khris Davis and Piscotty drove in runs with singles.Wright settled down to retire the next seven batters.WINNING LATE Christian Villanueva Jersey , WINNING CLOSEThe A's are the only team in baseball that has not lost when leading after seven innings, going 64-0. Oakland is also 28-12 in one-run games, the second-best mark in the majors behind Seattle.MOVESAthletics: RHP Frankie Montas was recalled from Triple-A Nashville. Montas has started 11 games for the A's this season, going 5-4 with a 3.96 ERA.Orioles: OF DJ Stewart had his contract selected from Triple-A Norfolk. His first appearance with the Orioles will be his major league debut. … RHP Cody Carroll was recalled from Norfolk. He has allowed seven runs and eight hits with nine walks over nine innings with Baltimore this season. … C Andrew Susac was reinstated from the restricted list.TRAINER'S ROOMAthletics: LHP Sean Manaea will have season-ending surgery on his left shoulder next week in Los Angeles. Manaea has been on the disabled list since Aug. 26. The 26-year-old Manaea went 12-9 with a 3.59 ERA and 108 strikeouts in 160 2/3 innings this year.Orioles: OF Mark Trumbo (right knee surgery) and RHP Pedro Araujo (right elbow sprain) were each transferred to the 60-day disabled list.UP NEXTAthletics: Liam Hendriks (0-1, 6.32 ERA) is slated to make his third start of the season. He is expected to work an inning or two.Orioles: Andrew Cashner (4-14, 4.89 ERA) is looking to stop a four-game losing streak. In his last outing, Cashner allowed three solo home runs in a 5-3 loss to the Mariners. DENVER (AP) — Christian Yelich feels like he's not really locked in — no more than usual, anyway."Just taking it day by day," the Milwaukee outfielder said.He and the Brewers are certainly dialed in, though. They have won 10 straight and seized a 2-0 lead against Colorado in the NL Division Series heading into Game 3 on Sunday in what could be a cool and damp afternoon in Denver.The Rockies hope a return to Coors Field can ignite their frigid bats. The team hit .154 over the opening two games and went 1 for 12 with runners in scoring position.A rest day couldn't have come at a better time after a week that included travel to Los Angeles and Chicago, on to Milwaukee and then back home."Clear the mind a little bit," Rockies third baseman Nolan Arenado said Saturday. "I'm ready to go. We'll be ready to go. It's no problem."Colorado's scuffle at the plate isn't exactly a new phenomenon. The Rockies hit .287 at Coors Field this season http://www.padresfanproshop.com/authent … zur-jersey , one of their lowest averages in franchise history. Their .256 overall mark remains a team low."No doubt there needs to be adjustments made," Rockies shortstop Trevor Story said. "But it's a good feeling to be back home, where we feel really comfortable hitting."Story is 0 for 8 with five strikeouts in the series. He resembles the Story of last season, when he struck out 191 times, rather than this All-Star version that hit .291 with 37 homers.His swing in the eighth inning Friday epitomized the Rockies difficulty in timing Brewers pitchers, striking out on a breaking pitch from Jeremy Jeffress that hit the dirt way before the plate."Story's a good player. He understands," Arenado said. "He clears his mind pretty quickly."Game 3 features a matchup of contrasting pitchers. Milwaukee's Wade Miley gets by more with sneakiness than speed. The left-hander is 3-1 with a 4.76 ERA in five career games at Coors Field.Colorado will hand the ball to German Marquez, a right-hander who throws heat and had a team-record 230 strikeouts. He got the call over lefty Kyle Freeland, another one of Colorado's up-and-coming young arms who also happens to be a Denver native and would pitch Monday — if there is a Monday."They have a potent lineup, but I'm going to execute my plan, which is executing my pitches, hitting my target Craig Stammen Jersey , and give our team a chance to win games," Marquez said.Asked whether he would like to close the series out as quickly as possible, Brewers manager Craig Counsell just smiled."Would we prefer to win it in three games? Of course," Counsell said. "But they have something to say about that."Counsell appreciates that anyone can step into the spotlight at any moment. Like in Game 2 when it was the turn of 38-year-old catcher Erik Kratz, who had two RBIs."If you're in the lineup, you get four shots. Everybody is going to get four shots," Counsell said. "So last night, Erik was the one that cashed in on a really big opportunity."Sometimes you've got to let these games unfold, and that's how you know how to play them, and that's what we'll continue to do."One factor: The weather. It's supposed to be around 60 on Sunday with a chance of rain."It's not ideal. It wouldn't be anybody's first choice," said Yelich, an NL MVP candidate who is 2 for 5 in the series with a homer and four walks. "They have to pitch in it http://www.padresfanproshop.com/authent … man-jersey , they have to hit in it. We have to pitch in it, we have to hit in it. You have to find a way to win."Being back at home, the Rockies are trying to keep everything as normal as ever. Especially Arenado, who's sticking to his usual routine: Eggs and bacon in the morning with oatmeal and two cups of coffee, head to the park and go straight to the cage to hone his swing."We've won three games in a row before," said Arenado, whose team captured six of seven in their final homestand to force a tiebreaking game 163 in Los Angeles for an NL West title the Dodgers wound up winning. "But it's not an easy task with the Brewers."The energized crowd should help. It's the first home game for the Rockies since 2009."Everywhere we've played, it's been super loud, and everybody hates us," Rockies outfielder Charlie Blackmon said. "So now it'll be super loud and everybody loves us. I hope."

• Index
  • » Shop
  • » The acquisition of Mike Fiers has coincided

Board footer